Adaptogen (plural – adaptogens)
- herbal medicine
- a natural substance considered to help the body adapt to stress and used to improve the health of adrenal and immune systems.
Nowadays it’s so easy to get stressed, ‘stressors’ are everywhere. The main cause why our bodies release stress hormones like cortisol and the side effects? too many to mention… Coffee and sugar become momentarily cures and quick fix. Fortunately, nature has the answer – and these are the adaptogens, natural herb that help our bodies adapt to stress and resist fatigue.
Long before pharmaceuticals began producing drugs, adaptogens have been used in Chinese and Ayuverdic medicine for centuries. They are proven safe for long term use. Phytotherapy refers to the use of plants for their healing abilities. And adaptogens are a unique class of healing plants. They help balance, restore and protect the body.
the Fab four Adaptogens
- Maca – is like turnip, and an adaptogen from the highlands of Peru. The highly nutritious root has been a staple of Andean cuisine for thousand of years.
- Moringa – known here in the Philippines as “malunggay” and the leaves are added in soup and other dishes. Moringa leaves are used to treat high blood pressure, improve digestion, regulate blood pressure and reduce inflammation. Consumption of leaves are recommended foe nursing mothers to enhance milk production. And also given to children to get rid of intestinal worms.
- Ginseng – the most well known adaptogen. The roots of the plant “Panax” ginseng are the medicinally valued part of Asian ginseng. It is extensively used in Chinese medicine for treating all kinds of ailments.
- Ashwagandha – often referred to as the Indian ginseng. It is a medicinal plant widely used in the ancient Ayuverdic medicine. It regulates the immune system and eases anxiety.
for sharing purposes only, I’m not selling these herbs 🙂 I’m taking some of the herbs mentioned above that made me feature this topic, hope this helps.